Email: IMAP Vs. POP
If you are using our email and are setting up your email software (e.g., Outlook, Mac Mail, Entourage), you must indicate how you want to receive email using an IMAP or POP connection. Here are the major differences between IMAP & POP:
When checking your email with an IMAP connection, you are accessing and managing your email directly from the email server. Some the features included are below:
Access – Since the emails are stored on the email server, you can access and manage your email and email folders from multiple computers or mobile devices.
Storage – If you have limited online storage space, you may need to delete some emails periodically to avoid exceeding your storage capacity.
Backup – Email is automatically backed up every evening; so, if you accidentally delete an email, your email administrator can retrieve it, even up to 14 days later.**
- Internet Connection – If you do not have an Internet connection, you cannot access your email.
Note: By default, email clients store your sent, draft, and trash email on your computer, rather than storing it on the email server (as it should with an IMAP connection). You may need to map your email folders within your email client.
When you check your email with a POP connection, new email messages are downloaded to your computer and are then deleted from the email server. Some the features included are below:
- Access – Since your email is stored on your computer, you must be at your computer to access your email.
- Storage – You don’t need to worry about running out of online storage space. Since you’re downloading your emails to your computer, you can keep as many emails as your computer can store.***
- Backup – You should implement an effective backup system for your computer, in case you need to retrieve lost or deleted emails.
- Internet Connection – You will need an Internet connection to download email, but you can view your downloaded email offline (i.e., without an Internet connection).
** All backups are taken nightly and some emails may not be recoverable or not guaranteed have backed up by the automated system.
*** Save a copy of the email on the server” setting should not be activated.